Be Aware. Be Safe.
We strive for all guests to have a safe and enjoyable visit. You can help! One of the most important things you can do on Grounds is be proactive about your personal safety. Here are some friendly reminders to help ensure a safe community for all those staying in University housing:
- Do not hesitate to call 911 if there is an emergency.
- Lock doors and windows, even if you are sleeping, or if you are leaving for a short period of time.
- Don't loan your key or access card to anyone.
- Don't prop open the doors to the residence hall or let in non-residents, even if they look like students or staff.
- Ask all workers who want access to your room to show you their ID. Most Facilities Management staff and Conferences@UVA staff wear uniforms to help readily identify their affiliation. All University faculty, staff, and contractors are required to have photo ID.
- Report all doors, locks, windows, or lights in need of repair to Conferences@UVA.
- Report lost keys or access cards to Conferences@UVA immediately. See our Lockouts and Lost Keys page.
- Keep valuable items such as wallets and jewelry locked up and out of sight.
- Do not walk alone at night. Always walk in well-lit, open areas.
- Stay sober and coherent. Persons under the influence are much more likely to be the victim of a serious crime or accident.
- Report suspicious/unknown people loitering or checking doors in residence halls by calling 911.
If there is an emergency, or you wish to report a crime in progress or a threat of violence, call 911 immediately.
Report any maintenance requests to Conferences@UVA as soon as possible at 434.924.4479. You will not be charged for any needed maintenance.